Allen & Overy Private Law Moot
The grand finalists of the 2017 Allen & Overy Private Law Moot, from the National University of Singapore and the University of Otago, with The Honourable Patricia Bergin SC, International Judge of the Singapore International Commercial Court and formerly Chief Judge in Equity and Judge of Appeal of the Supreme Court of New South Wales; Professor Simone Degeling, UNSW Law; and John Samaha, Partner, Allen & Overy.
The Allen & Overy Private Law Moot, hosted by UNSW Law, is a prestigious intervarsity mooting competition, bringing together some of the best mooters from Australia and around the world to compete at the University of New South Wales in Sydney.
Unlike any other mooting competition in Australia, the moot focuses specifically on private law and commercial topics. Competitors have the opportunity to demonstrate commerciality and a deep interest in private law. Previous problem questions have covered equity and trusts, corporations law and contracts.
The 2018 competition will include four preliminary rounds of mooting held at the University of New South Wales Kensington Campus in Sydney. These will be followed by a semi final and a grand final presided over by a panel of eminent judges, which has included judges of the NSW Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. A quarter final round may be included depending on the number of teams. There will also be a networking and cocktail event for all competitors, where prizes will be presented, and other social events.
The competition dates in 2018 are expected to be Saturday 19, Sunday 20 and Monday 21 May.
- Monday 16 April – release of problem question on the website
- Monday 16 April at 5pm (AEST) – REGISTRATION DEADLINE for teams
- Monday 23 April at 5pm (AEST) – deadline for requests for clarifications
- Wednesday 25 April – release of any responses to requests for clarifications
- Monday 14 May at 5pm (AEST) – deadline for submission of written submissions
- Tuesday 15 May – teams receive written submissions of their opponents for the preliminary rounds. Judges receive written submissions
- Saturday 19 May – Monday, 21 May – Allen & Overy Private Law Moot