Allen & Overy Private Law Moot
The grand finalists of the 2017 Allen & Overy Private Law Moot, from the National University of Singapore and the University of Otago, with The Honourable Patricia Bergin SC, International Judge of the Singapore International Commercial Court and formerly Chief Judge in Equity and Judge of Appeal of the Supreme Court of New South Wales; Professor Simone Degeling, UNSW Law; and John Samaha, Partner, Allen & Overy.
The Allen & Overy Private Law Moot, hosted by UNSW Law, is a prestigious intervarsity mooting competition, bringing together some of the best mooters from Australia and around the world to compete at the University of New South Wales in Sydney.
Unlike any other mooting competition in Australia, the moot focuses specifically on private law and commercial topics. Competitors have the opportunity to demonstrate commerciality and a deep interest in private law. Previous problem questions have covered equity and trusts, corporations law and contracts.
The 2017 competition will include four preliminary rounds of mooting, followed by two knockout finals rounds. There will also be a networking and cocktail event for all competitors, where prizes will be presented.
Preliminary Round moots will be held at the University of New South Wales Kensington Campus in Sydney. The Semi Final and Grand Final will be held at the offices of Allen & Overy. The Grand Final will be presided over by a panel of eminent judges, including judges of the NSW Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
The competition dates in 2017 are Saturday 20, Sunday 21 and Monday 22 May.
- Monday 10 April – publication of rules on our website (unswlawsoc.org/private-law-moot)
- Tuesday, 11 April at 5 pm – deadline for application for equity grant
- Friday, 14 April – decisions on equity grant applications to be made
- Monday 17 April – release of problem question on the website
- Monday 17 April at 5pm – REGISTRATION DEADLINE for teams
- Monday 24 April – requests for clarifications may be submitted until this time
- Wednesday 26 April – any responses to requests for clarifications will be communicated by this time
- Monday 15 May – deadline for submission of written submissions
- Tuesday 16 May – teams receive written submissions of their opponents for the preliminary rounds. Judges receive written submissions
- Saturday 20 May – Monday, 22 May – Allen & Overy Private Law Moot
For registration information, and to register, please click here.
Registration closes Monday 17 April at 5 pm (AEST).