Allen & Overy Private Law Moot
The grand finalists of the 2018 Allen & Overy Private Law Moot, from the University of Otago and Monash University, with The Honourable Justice Robert McDougall (New South Wales Supreme Court); James Lee (UNSW/King’s College London); Michael Shepherd (Partner, Allen & Overy); Professor Simone Degeling (UNSW Law); and Professor George Williams (Dean, UNSW Law).
The Allen & Overy Private Law Moot, hosted by UNSW Law, is a prestigious intervarsity mooting competition, bringing together some of the best mooters from Australia and around the world to compete at the University of New South Wales in Sydney.
Unlike any other mooting competition in Australia, the moot focuses specifically on private law and commercial topics. Competitors have the opportunity to demonstrate commerciality and a deep interest in private law. Previous problem questions have covered equity and trusts, corporations law and contracts.
The 2018 competition included four preliminary rounds of mooting held at the University of New South Wales Kensington Campus in Sydney. This was followed by a semi final and a grand final presided over by a panel of eminent judges, which has included judges of the NSW Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. There was also a networking and cocktail event for all competitors, where prizes were presented, and other social events.
The competition dates in 2018 were Saturday 19, Sunday 20 and Monday 21 May.
- Monday 16 April – release of problem question on the website
- Monday 16 April at 5pm (AEST) – REGISTRATION DEADLINE for teams
- Monday 23 April at 5pm (AEST) – deadline for requests for clarifications
- Wednesday 25 April – release of any responses to requests for clarifications
- Monday 14 May at 5pm (AEST) – deadline for submission of written submissions
- Tuesday 15 May – teams receive written submissions of their opponents for the preliminary rounds. Judges receive written submissions
- Saturday 19 May – Monday, 21 May – Allen & Overy Private Law Moot