The New South Wales Law Society administers an annual Mock TrialÂ Competition among high schools.Â Robert Nixon, solicitor, one of the NSW Law Society’s Volunteer MockÂ Magistrates, seeks the volunteerÂ assistance of what amounts to aÂ Magistrate’s Associate to assist him in performing the role of MockÂ Magistrate.
The successful applicant for this role will share equally with Robert,Â the performance ofÂ all aspects of his role as Mock Magistrate therebyÂ gainingÂ valuableÂ experience in the process.
The duties of the Mock Magistrate are described at page 11 of the MockÂ Trial Manual 2013Â http://goo.gl/J09QX.
This and the manual generally should be studied carefully beforeÂ enquiring further. Robert covers schools selected from the followingÂ Sydney metropolitan areas:Â Eastern suburbs, North Metropolitan, Inner Western, Northern Beaches,Â Sydney CBD, Southern, North Western, South West and WesternÂ suburbs.
Volunteering Hours: Typically weekdays (excluding holidays) 5.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
Closing Date:Â 30 April, 2016.
Location: High schools across Sydney
- Western Suburbs;
- South Western Suburbs.
- North Western suburbs;
- Inner Western suburbs;
- North Metropolitan / North Shore suburbs;
- Northern Beaches suburbs.
- Have participated in previous mock trials when in high school;
- Be law students at any stage in their studies, other knowledge orÂ experience is not required;
- Have a current driver’s licence and access to a car when required;Â and
- Have a landline phone at homeÂ for after hours access.
Contact: (02) 9872 5766 – Robert Nixon
- 6.30pm to 8.00pm weekdays;
- 9.00am to 4.00pm weekends & public holidays;
- If a messageÂ is left on an answering machine, calls will ONLY be returned to aÂ landline number.